Archive

Posts Tagged ‘SharePoint’

Error: The file ‘C:\FASTSearch\etc\middleware.cfg’ was not found.

March 17, 2011 Leave a comment

If you are doing a multi-server install of FAST for SharePoint 2010 you may end up with this error. Possible causes:

  • You specified the wrong Base Port.
  • You did not configure your firewall properly to open up the necessary ports.
  • You forgot to reboot your admin server. To make sure that FAST is running properly, use nctrl status on the admin machine.
Advertisements
Categories: Uncategorized Tags: , ,

Using SPModule to install SharePoint – DateTime Issue with the StartDate

March 17, 2011 1 comment

If you are getting a datetime issue (cannot convert to DateTime) with the out of the box SharePoint install with SPModule when using the New-SharePointFarm command change line 81 of New-SharePointFarm.ps1 from

    $RunSettings.StartTime = Get-Date -Format ‘dd-MMM-yyyy HH:mm:ss’
to
    $RunSettings.StartTime = Get-Date -Format ‘dd-MM-yyyy HH:mm:ss’

Categories: Uncategorized Tags: ,

[QuickNews] SharePoint Server 2010 performance and capacity test results and recommendations

March 17, 2011 Leave a comment

Microsoft released the whitepapers regarding the performance impact of specific features of SharePoint 2010. The following whitepapers have been released:

  • BCSCapacityPlanningDoc.docx
  • DesigningLargeListsMaximizingListPerformance.docx
  • LargeScaleDocRepositoryCapacityPlanningDoc.docx
  • MySitesSocialComputingCapacityPlanningDoc.docx
  • OfficeWebAppsCapacityPlanningDoc.docx
  • SearchforSPServer2010CapacityPlanningDoc.docx
  • SharePointServerCachesPerformance.docx
  • VisioServicesCapacityPlanningDoc.docx
  • WASCapacityPlanningDoc.docx

 

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=fd1eac86-ad47-4865-9378-80040d08ac55&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MicrosoftDownloadCenter+%28Microsoft+Download+Center%29&referrer=swamii.com#tm

Categories: Uncategorized Tags: , ,

Exception: System.SystemException: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.

March 17, 2011 Leave a comment

As I installed the language packs for SharePoint 2010 I ran into the Exception: Exception: System.SystemException: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.

The cause of this error, in my case, was that the SharePoint 2010 server was unable to contact the Domain Controller. Once that was sorted, I could run the configuration wizard just fine.

Categories: Uncategorized Tags: , , ,

All sites search scope returns results, This Site scope returns no results


I had an interesting issue at the customer. When searching through the search center (all sites scope) it returned results from site X. However, when I did the same query in the This Site:X scope, I had no results returned. The full crawl and the incremental crawl did work fine (as in that case All Sites wouldn’t return results anyway). As it turns out this is also related to the loopbackcheck issue in IIS/SharePoint. If you see this behavior on your SharePoint environment you should see acces denied errors popping up in your event viewer and you can refer to this post to fix it: https://koenvosters.wordpress.com/2009/06/15/access-denied-when-using-hostname-search-and-site-on-moss-2007/

SQL Aliasing within SharePoint

March 29, 2010 1 comment

As I recently heard about SQL Aliasing I tried to figure out how it all works. There is a nice post by Thomas Vochten on the subject on how to set it up :
http://thomasvochten.be/blog/post/2009/03/19/Using-SQL-Aliases-with-SharePoint.aspx

Things to take into account :
SQL Aliasing is NOT configured on the SQL Server, it is configured on every server of your SharePoint Farm.
If you want to add servers to an already existing farm and you can’t find any documentation on the aliases, just go to one of the servers in the farm and run cliconfg.exe.
The advantage of this approach is that if you ever want to move your SharePoint databases to a new SQL Server all you need to do is change the SQL Alias.

Categories: 2007, SharePoint Tags: , , ,

User Profiles not in sync with site collections after a name / property change

March 26, 2010 2 comments

At one of our customers we had a sync problem with the user profiles and the wss 3.0 user profile store on site collection level. To check which content databases were out of sync we used the common
stsadm -o sync -listolddatabases 5

This shows a list of all the databases that are out of sync. By using
stsadm –o sync –deleteolddatabases 5
you can delete those userprofilesync databases (not the content database itself and by then running something like)
stsadm –o sync –synctiming M:5
stsadm –o sync –sweeptiming M:5

you should see your userprofile syncing in 5 minutes. Except for the fact that in this case it didn’t do the trick. Whenever I used domain\username in the people picker, it resolved to the old username and not the new one. Some blogs talk about a full server restart, but as it is a large production environment (and the fact that the issue isn’t realy blocking business) that was not an option. In the end, adding the user with the domain\accountname to a SharePoint group it resolved to the old name. However, 5 minutes later the old name was replaced with the new name and the profile was in sync again. So if the stsadm command doesn’t get it in sync, add the user to one of your site collection groups and it will sync afterwards.